This is a really worrying time for families and businesses; struggling with higher food prices and gas bills and worried about their jobs and their children’s futures.
The Tory-led Government are cutting too far and too fast and risk choking off economic recovery. Unemployment is rising again and is currently at the highest level in 17 years. One in five young people are out of work and now more women are unemployed than at any time since 1988.
We need to act now to show the Tory-led Government that there is another way.
Labour has set out a clear five-point plan for jobs, to help struggling families and support small businesses. Our jobs plan includes:
1. A £2 billion tax on bank bonuses to fund 100,000 jobs for young people and build 25,000 affordable homes
2. Bringing forward long-term investment projects, like new school buildings
3. Temporarily reversing the VAT rise – a £450 boost for families with children
4. A one year cut in VAT to 5% on home improvements and repairs to help small businesses
5. A tax break for every small firm which takes on extra workers